Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Tales of the Uber/Lyft Driver: Front or Back Seat?

When you hop into a rideshare vehicle, should you sit in the front or back seat? Opinions vary, but if it's one person or a couple, I greatly prefer the passenger(s) to sit in the back seat. I prefer to reserve the front seat for third/fourth or tall passengers. Having a total stranger sitting directly beside me limits my visibility. I find myself less likely to look to my right, either to look out of the window or to look at the passenger-side mirror when a passenger is sitting beside me, especially a female passenger. I don't want to see what the passenger is looking at on their phone. I don't want to see how they're dressed. I don't want to look them straight in the face if they're talking to me. For me, when the passenger sits in the back it makes our relationship transactional, as it should be.

4 comments:

  1. I'd just say don't keep the front passenger seat pushed all the way back. Sometimes when I see that, I switch to the front. I'm tall but not super tall (6-foot), and I can fit nicely in the back seat if the front seat isn't pushed all the way back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll second that point. I'm short and always sit in the back regardless, but there are times it's uncomfortable with the passenger seat all the way back. I hesitate to ask them to move it forward as I think that request got me a 4 instead of 5 star rating once. I think the driver should note where that passenger seat is and adjust it - especially if they want people to sit in the back, they need to make that a comfortable place.

      Delete
  2. It irks me that a lot of passengers who sit in the front don't move the seat back to its previous position when they get to their destination. I don't have time to park the car, walk around to the passenger side, and move the seat up before picking up the next passenger. Sometimes pings are coming back-to-back and it's all I can do to glance over to see if the previous passenger left a mess before driving off to the next pickup.

    ReplyDelete