Thursday, February 21, 2019

Lack of Content

One of the main complaints I've seen from multiple people in regards to the various platforms we've been migrating to as Google+ winds down is lack of content. Indeed, it's one of my own complaints. There isn't much content, and what is there is oft-repeated. We're stuck in a bubble universe. On MeWe, for example, I have about 80 contacts. I see a lot of posts from a handful of people and nothing from most people. On Pluspora I have about 200 contacts, and I see a lot of posts from a handful of people and absolutely nothing from most people. All in all, this does not surprise me. Less than 5% of people generate content on any given day. That means if you come to social media to see new material to interact with, you're just not going to get that with a few hundred people. You need to follow thousands of people in order to have volume and variety. Of course, not everyone wants volume and variety. Some people just want to see a dozen or so posts from close friends and that's it. For those who don't want that, we need to step it up and generate more content.

8 comments:

  1. It seems this is a result of splintering people off onto different platforms as well as the fact that some people set up shop on other platforms but still use G+. I know that's my problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know for myself that I haven't yet started concertedly reposting on my Pluspora account, so that is perhaps part of it.

    There's also a matter of critical mass -- I have 352 people I follow in G+ ... that 5% still pertains, but I try to follow good people who post a lot.

    I think the exodus will take place, for real, at or around 3/7, when the notification bell gets turned off (mutters darkly).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I also suspect that the PlusPora side will be picking up shortly. G+ is still my default distraction, but that will be changing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't generate because I think I'm pretty boring:) However, I do participate quite often. Is that a form of generation?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I view participation in comment threads as generation. Interaction contributes to the whole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. for me it's control of that content too. On G+ and Facebook I can select certain circles/friends to notify me or show first or all updates, etc. On MeWe it's based on when people post what shows up in my feed so I see all these people I don't really know as well but added me there from G+ and barely anything from the people I do because they get lost in the stream of those who post more memes, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And quite honestly that is the issue with pluspora too. Even the notifications don't tell you much. Where I used to read and reply from notification within G+ using the notification widget they just cruelly murdered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MeWe tried to duplicate Faceook's notification and merge it with G+ where you can reply to that comment but it's annoying as it doesn't always work well and it will only display that particular comment and not open the entire thread or post. I still find it throws errors too and tells me things don't exist though they do and I have to fight to bring up the full post to see it all. And yes it is there and exists and was not deleted...

    ReplyDelete