Monday, July 8, 2019

I don't marathon shows anymore...

At some point I decided I don't marathon shows anymore. It was fun, for a while, but it largely left me feeling empty. Watching an entire series in a day or across the span of a weekend just isn't satisfying. Even if I have that much free time, I just can't justify doing nothing but watching a show. Maybe it's because my style of watching a show means that I'm WATCHING a show. I'm not washing dishes while the show plays in the background. I'm not filling out paperwork and glancing at the screen from time to time. I'm not playing a game on my phone and catching the show in the corner of my eye. When I'm watching a show, I'm exclusively watching a show. This means marathoning a show left absolutely nothing else done. I also find that I prefer to talk about individual episodes of a show after watching them. When you're chugging down the whole gallon of milk at one time you can't have a meaningful discussion of the third sip. I like having something to look forward to. If I'm watching an episode per night of the hot new show on Netflix, I have something to look forward to each night, getting through the day becomes its own little reward. When you marathon the entire series the only thing you can look forward to is the next season, which won't be out until probably next year around this time. Slow down. Are you racing against someone or are you only cheating yourself out of truly enjoying a show?

No comments:

Post a Comment