Monday, January 14, 2019

Home Turf

The more I think about where I'm going to end up as G+ winds down, the more I'm convinced I'm going to take a step back, way back, from social media. I've been wandering around in the realm of social media since 2006. I have primarily been a content creator. I greatly enjoy writing. I enjoy scouring the web for newsworthy material. I enjoy sharing my opinion on newsworthy material. I enjoy meeting new people and having a good conversation with them. I enjoy being able to be authentic. G+ provided me with all of this, and no other platform I've tested has come close to replacing it. I don't like the idea of rebuilding, and as I see people scatter to different platforms I see rebuilding as being the major project. I've met a lot of wonderful people thanks to G+ over the years but I think it's time to wrap it up.

Since the announcement that G+ was ending, I've looked at Pluspora*, Facebook, MeWe, and Twitter as possible replacements for what I like to do online. All have been found lacking in one way or another. Pluspora* is clunky and I'm not going to sideload a mobile app to be able to use it through an app on my phone. I worry about its longevity since it is privately-supported. Facebook, dear god no. Although my Facebook activity has increased, I just can't use it for what I like to do. MeWe has too much eye-candy for me. I don't want pretty. The neo-Nazi fan base also troubles me. I also get to much contact spam from that platform. I just can't go with Twitter. Although it's an easy platform to which I can post links, it is not a platform I can use for conversations. Threads are too hard to keep together and follow. I'm just not a hashtagger.

That leaves me with my own blog, which you are reading now. Until someone convinces me I should be elsewhere, I'll be here, doing things my own way. If you wish to follow me, I'll post links to this blog everywhere before I shut things down elsewhere. My contact information remains the same. My email address is a matter of public record. My phone number is accessible for most people, with texts being greatly preferred over calls. I can also be reached on Hangouts and Facebook Messenger.

In my migration plan, I will continue to post to G+ but will move more of my posting activity to my blog. When I decide to flip the switch on G+, all of my activity will be on my blog, with links occasionally shared to other platforms. I don't plan to have conversations on other platforms, but anything is possible. As I stated at the beginning, I'm taking a step back. I'm not going away.

1 comment: