Thursday, April 3, 2014

What it’s like to be a network engineer, translated into normal people speak

Nipped from +Drew Nicholson on Google+

User: I think we are having a major road issue.


Me: What? No, I just checked, the roads are fine. I was actually just on the roads.


User: No I’m pretty sure the roads are down because I’m not getting pizzas.


Me: Everything else on the roads is fine. What do you mean you aren’t getting pizzas?


User: I used to get pizzas when I ordered them, now I’m not getting them. It has to be a road issue.


Me: As I said before, the roads are fine. Where are you getting pizzas from?


User: …I’m not really sure. Can you check all places that deliver pizzas?


Me: No, I’m not even sure of all the places that deliver pizza. You need to narrow it down.


User: I think it’s Subway.


Me: Ok, I’ll check…No, I just looked and Subway doesn't deliver pizzas.


User: I’m pretty sure it is Subway. Can you just allow all food from Subway and we can see if pizza shows up?


Me: <sigh> Fine, I’ve allowed all food from Subway, but I don’t think that is the issue.


User: Yeah, I’m still not getting pizza. Can you check the roads?


Me: It’s not the roads, the roads are fine. I’m pretty sure Subway isn’t the place.


User: Ok, I found it, its Papa John's.


Me: Ok I looked and Papa John's does deliver pizza. Is it the local Papa John's or one in a different town?


User: I don’t know. Can you allow pizza from all Papa John's to me?


Me: No, I can’t do that. Can you get me an address for Papa John's?


User: No, I only know it as Papa John's. Can you get me all the addresses of all Papa John's and I’ll tell you if one of them is correct?


Me: No, I don’t have time for that. Ok, I looked at the local one and it looks like they have sent you pizza in the past and they are currently allowed to send you pizzas. Try ordering a pizza while I watch.


User: Um, yeah, still no pizza. I’m guessing they are getting blocked at the freeway. Can you check the freeway to make sure they can get through?


Me: NO, this is a local delivery. They aren't even using the freeway.


User: Ok, well then it has to be a road issue.


Me: NO, the roads are fine. OK I just drove from the Papa John's to the address they have on file for you and there is nobody there.


User: Hmm, wait we did move recently.


Me: Did you give your new address to Papa John's?


User: No, I just thought they would be able to look me up by name.


Me: No, they need your new address. What’s your new address?


User: I’m not really sure. Can you look it up?


Me: <sigh> Give me a second…Ok, I found your address and gave it to Papa John's. Try ordering a pizza now.


User: HEY PIZZA JUST SHOWED UP!


Me: Ok, good.


User to everyone else they know: I apologize for the delay in the pizza but there was a major road issue that was preventing the pizza from getting to me. The network engineer has fixed the roads and we are able to get pizza again.


Me: But it wasn’t the roads…whatever.


User: Oh, can you also check on an issue where Chinese food isn’t getting to me? I think it may be a road issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment